The Lykes Brothers story began more than 100 years ago with Dr. Howell Tyson Lykes. Leaving a career in medicine, Dr. Lykes began raising cattle and citrus at the family homestead in rural Hernando County. By the turn of the century, Dr. Lykes had moved his family and business activities to Tampa and was shipping cattle to Cuba aboard a three-masted wooden schooner. One by one, each of Dr. Lykes's seven sons joined the family business. Working together they expanded and diversified, incorporating their business as Lykes Bros. Inc. in 1910. Descendants of Dr. Lykes have retained ownership of Lykes Bros. and continue to build on the solid foundation laid by the doctor and his seven sons.
The Lykes Ranch, located in Glades and Highlands counties, spreads out on 337,000 acres on one of the largest contiguous pieces of land in the state. The property is home to integrated cow-calf, forestry, sugar cane and landscape operations. Partnerships with researchers and professional associations are a major part of the Lykes management philosophy. The Lykes Ranch views itself as a progressive leader in Florida agriculture and its activities are proof of this philosophy. With recent strategic moves into bioenergy crops, water storage and environmentally friendly landscape products, the company is showing its adaptability in a rapidly changing global economy.
For more information, contact Lykes Ranch at 863-763-3041.